Heartland Outdoorsman
December 22, 2014, 10:13:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kitchen Disasters  (Read 2210 times)
MT Net
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2006, 06:29:43 PM »

Monday, the day after New Year's Day, a day of vacation from work.  No Monday Night Football tonight; and a fishing excursion was postponed.

To the kitchen I decided to whip up a quick dinner with my wife.  I decided on Tomoato Eggs; a quick, simple, and filling meal.  

In a large frying pan, saute 1 package of fresh sliced mushrooms in olive oil.
Drain one 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and add to the sauted mushrooms.
Whne the tomato juice is reduces, make 4 pockets in the shrooms and diced tomatos.  Add a tocuh of olive oil and crack an egg into each "pocket".  Salt, pepper, cover until eggs are done.  I loke to break the yolks.  

When eggs are done, grate Monteray cheese on top, add dries crushed parsley.

Cut into quadrants with a spatula and serve.

The key is fresh sliced mushrooms.  Tonight, I improvised and used canned shrooms to saute.  Mrs. Net dilligently started the bread toasting process when we heard a lous POP.   Then another, she was hit by a hot shard of sauteing mushroom.  Pop!  another landed on her just scrubbed and waxed floor.  The dog zipped into the process, snarfing down the popped shroom shard.  I don't think he tasted it; down the gullet it went in one swallow.  POP!  Another hot shard of shroom landed on his nose.  He beat the hell out of there, tail between his legs in that scoot/run away.

The both of us were laughing  pretty hard, ducking the popping shrooms.  

The dinner was a success, and we had a hoot avoiding hot shards of shrooms.

We reminised another kitchen disaster.  As newlyweds, we thought we'd make a spinach pie.  Read the recipe and it stated 1 clove of garlic.  Now, as we were both naive and twenty-sometings with no clue as to what a clove of garlic was, I proceeded to peel the entire garlic and dice it down for the spinach pie.

Oy!  talk about a garlic hit on the first bite.  We couldn't eat it the pie.  I'm certain the garlic in our hose still lingers, which would be handy for those who belive in vampires.

There was another time when I fried up a mess of perch, spilling hot oil all over the counters and floor.  

I spent a lot of time scrubbing under close supersision for that one.

Support Bacteria. 
They're the only culture some people have.
Cheech
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:58:56 PM »

We reminised another kitchen disaster. As newlyweds, we thought we'd make a spinach pie.

Read the recipe and it stated 1 clove of garlic. Now, as we were both naive and twenty-sometings with no clue as to what a clove of garlic was, I proceeded to peel the entire garlic and dice it down for the spinach pie.

Oy! talk about a garlic hit on the first bite. We couldn't eat it the pie. I'm certain the garlic in our hose still lingers, which would be handy for those who belive in vampires.

Good thing you didn't eat the pie, since the spinach would've likely created a dual ended assault on the senses that could've been catastrophic! LOL2

BTW, I used to work in one of the best Italian joints in our hood as a highschooler, and the job I hated most was chopping garlic. Peeled and chopped it by the pound! Raw lemons and Lemon Joy helped the best.

If you are a fan of hand chopping/cutting things manually, look into ULU Knives and bowls.

Mike Clifford
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 07:10:25 PM »

Great story, as always Rob. LOL2

Cheech- those are some awesome looking knives.
I like the fact that you can get a variety of different carved patterns on the handle....and the price!
$15.95 looks very good for that quality. :Y
MT Net
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »

LOL2

Catastrophic is about right.  One taste was enough for me.  I love garlic, but not that much.  

The last trip my folks took before retiring was a 2 week trip and cruise in Alaska.  They brought me an Ulu knife and bowl set.  Best kitchen tool we own.  Like Cheech, I highly recomend one, Mike.

Support Bacteria. 
Cheech
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "Mike Clifford"
Great story, as always Rob. LOL2

Cheech- those are some awesome looking knives.
I like the fact that you can get a variety of different carved patterns on the handle....and the price!
$15.95 looks very good for that quality. :Y

It's a very efficient, tried and true method. I'm not trying to sell anything, check it out for yourself.

Mike Clifford
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:18:35 PM »

Although-
I bet somebody could do very well at the Outdoors Shows with a nice little hands-on display of those things...(if they aren't already)
:S
BirdsNest
Approved

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »

Thanks for the great story, MT! Is the dog gonna be alright?   :wink:

BFL "GREAT LAKES" CO-ANGLER

FIELD STAFF- http://www.jkruzeyewear.com/

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of Spirit, a pure serenity of mind." - Washington Irving
MT Net
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 09:18:03 PM »

Little satan is just fine, Birdsnest.  He's back to begging for more handouts.  Dang, I thought the hotmouth would have cured that.

Support Bacteria. 
Moosesign

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 09:47:54 PM »

When I was in Alaska a few years ago I went to the factory and bought a few as gifts for people.  I also bought myself one that has a handcarved handle made out of moose antler.  Needless to say I don't use it.  
We saw a demonstration in an Indian village where an Eskimo woman filleted a salmon for the smoking rack in less then 30 seconds with an ula knife.  I know wally world here carries some in the kitchen section.

Good Hunting
-Moose-

Moose Droppings
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: