Heartland Outdoorsman
October 21, 2014, 05:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excellent Dove Recipes!  (Read 1575 times)
Mike Clifford
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2004, 06:39:57 PM »

Tis the season....found these to be very inviting!

Bacon BBQ Bird

Introduction:

When you BBQ smaller wild bird like dove, quail, chukar, grouse etc., it tends to be a little on the dry side. This recipe will definitely fix that.

Ingredients:

8 birds of your choice
1-pound fresh bacon
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Marinate birds in Italian salad dressing overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, ground sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Wrap each bird with bacon slices. If you use more than one slice of bacon to cover the bird match the seams on the same side.

Place the birds on a medium-hot grill, bacon seam side down.Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Turn and grill another 15 minutes. Test the bird with a fork, if it is not tender cook an additional 15 minutes.

Baked beans, stuffing, fresh vegetables, and bread of your choice would be an excellent complement for this entree.

After your birds are done throw the bacon into your pot of baked beans for excellent seasoning.

Dove Kabobs

Ingredients:

Breast fillets of 10 doves
20 - 30 whole mushrooms
5 new potatoes
2 purple onions

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion salt
2 tsp. lemon pepper

Instructions:

Wash dove breasts and remove excess fat. Place dove breasts in covered container with marinade and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. During last half hour of marinade time put in the whole mushrooms, shake to coat with marinade.

Wash new potatoes, poke holes with fork, and microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes. Cut into quarters. Slice purple onions into skewer size chunks. Skewer ingredients (alternating onion, dove, mushroom, & potato).

Barbecue kabob's until dove meat is cooked to desired liking. Brush kabob's with remaining marinade while cooking.
MORE Outstanding Dove Recipes!
TexIndian
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 06:52:05 PM »

Thanks Mike.  I'll have to give those a try.  For years as a kid I couldn't stand to eat dove because of the dry, liver taste.  Here's my favorite recipe that takes that taste right out of them:

For dove breasts, cut a slit on each side near the center next to the breastbone.  Then stick a piece of onion and jalapeño into the slit (just onions for the girly-men).  Cut bacon strips into thirds and wrap one piece over the breast meat and fix it with a toothpick.  Sprinkle with a little lemon-pepper and slow-cook over mesquite coals.  My mouth drools just thinking about it.

John

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
Mike Clifford
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 06:55:52 PM »

Oh yeah....I used to make up Walleye Ka-Bobs.
A slice of bacon wrapped around each peice on the skewers, with a soaked toothpick to hold in place.

I'll post it in full sometime soon....mmmmm!
:Y

Always figured Pheasant to be extremely dry as well...especially on the BBG Grill......suppose I can use the Dove recipe on them....:S
MT Net
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 07:10:05 PM »

It seems bacon is the cure all.  sometimes while Ruffed Grouse hunting, we'd flush up some Woodcock.  Woodcock are about dove size and dark meat.  Yep, wrap them in bacon!

Support Bacteria. 
They're the only culture some people have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: