Heartland Outdoorsman
October 25, 2014, 03:19:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beer Batter for Perch?Walleye  (Read 1801 times)
pegsguy

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:48 PM »

Anyone got a good Beer batter recipe they are willing to share? I have a base recipe that starts with buttermilk pancake mix, the add your own not "complete". I use the recipe on the box but substitute beer(the flat half cans from last night's party work fine) for the liquid and add some spices. I normally use a bit of onion powder, some garlic and a touch of black or mixed pepper. It seems to be missing something. Anyone got some help?
Tom
mech60014-fishing@yahoo.com

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will be frustrated for a lifetime!
Cheech
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 07:28:10 PM »

Well I'm no chef, but prefer to use Shore Lunch for the breading. For the beer batter recipe on the box it comes in, it specifically states to use your favorite beer or carbonated water. Maybe the carbonation has something to do with it, I dunno. I also prefer a dash of lemon pepper as well.

http://www.shorelunch.com/

Rob_fishon

No Jibba Jabba!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »

add parmesan cheese and extra spices to the mix.

I do agree on favorite beer.

We made trout and walleye at my kids youth camp this past weekend.

The oil in the pan for the 4th batch was incredible.
it had all the residue & leftover spices.

The last few batches of walleye were outstanding.

We just patted dry, dipped in batter and cooked in a pan on a grill.
No beer added, no alcohol allowed at camp!

The future comes one day at a time!
pegsguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »

Thanks for the replys. Yes, the carbonation does have an effect on the batter, it makes it puffier and lighter. I will try the Shore Lunch thing and decide. I always use lemon pepper when cooking fish, but have never added it to my beer batter. I'll try it.
Here is a recipe I found in In-Fisherman that works well with 'eyes and perch:
CRUSH (and I mean pulveize) 1 sleeve of Townhouse or Ritz crackers with a rolling pin. In the absence of a rolling pin a wine or whiskey bottle works well, especially if you consume the contents first and then fill the bottle with water. Placing the crackers in a large ziplock bag makes this easier, as well as less messy.
Crack 1 large egg in a bowl and add an equall amout of Sue Be Honey(this is their reciepy, gotta give them credit!). Mix thoroughly.
Season the cracker crumbs to taste,don't add any salt the crackers have enough. A bit of pepper and some onion powder(not salt) work for me. Dredge the fish in the egg mixture, drop in the bag with the cracker crumbs and shake. Deep fry in oil, and yes, oil that has been used before works better than fresh. I have always saved my frying oil thruout a weeklong trip and the meals get better and better!
We just let the pan cool, cover it with foil and store the pan and oil in the fridge between meals.
Tom

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will be frustrated for a lifetime!
Al Mudhill
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »

I'm not a big fan of battered fish, preferring breaded instead. But for battered I like to use HIME brand Tempura Mix and simply substitute a good dark beer instead of water,
The thing to remember is regardless of what liquid you use, make sure it is ICE COLD...and the grease is very hot (but not smoking!)
keep the bowl of batter mix in a bowl of ice! The colder it is, the lighter the batter, and the bubblier too!

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains
seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we
must be aware of change in the air, however slight,
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
pegsguy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 06:02:55 PM »

Al:
Have you tried the Sue Bee honey breading recipe? I don't have it handy right now but it involves a dredge of honey and egg, followed by coating in crushed butter flavored(Ritz or Townhouse work well)crackers seasoned to taste. Easy and delicious. I'm sure the recipe is available on Sue Bee's web site. If anyone has a problem finding the recipe, PM me and I will dig it up.
Tom

Mike Clifford
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

I never knew the ice trick...thanks!
Been struggling to get just the right texture for years.
As for the crackers, there are some really tasty new vairieties, and now you have me thinking Pegsguy/
Hope this is the answer.

Al Mudhill
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »

Have you tried the Sue Bee honey breading recipe?
Can't say I have Rob, but I've used TownHouse Crackers in my "Mix" in the past.
These days I'm real big on "less is more"
A little garlic powder, some salt & pepper, and a few other secret herb & spices and I'm good to go...
Have you ever tried using Rice Flour and/or crushed Rice Krispies ?
The resulting Breading is much lighter than the regular all-purpose flour and is less sweet than TownHouse or Ritz crackers, with twice the KRUNCH factor!
Damnit...7:30 AM and now I'm thinking Shore Breakfast!

P.S. Use a ratio of 50/50 Rice flour to regular all purpose wheat flour

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains
seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we
must be aware of change in the air, however slight,
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: